Thursday, December 08, 2005

the dark continent

Tonight I smirked as I got into my warm car, giddy as if I'd beat some system just because I'd warmed it up while I was inside the newsroom putting the finishing touches on my pages. The cold does weird things to your head.

I've been working on a book lately called Emma's War. It's the story of a humanitarian aid worker who went to Sudan. She was more of an adventure seeker, I guess, but a lot of aid workers are. She eventually married a rebel SPLA leader. Then she was killed. Clearly I'm lacking important details on that part. But only because I'm not there yet. And that's not even my point. :) I've taken a couple things from the book so far. First, it's given me some more background about Sudanese history -- the history of the slave trade, Islamic rule, British colonialism, etc. It's all very complex, very deep, very... human. I guess I'm hoping to not only gain knowledge about Sudan, but perspective. The author talks a lot about how Africa can just seep into people's hearts, that they never want to stray too far. I hope that happens to me, that God places -- well, continues to place -- a love in my heart for Africa and Sudan.

As I've been reading more about the famines, the mass killings, the children sold into slavery, I find my heart and my mind more and more burdened by what I'm going to do for these people. What can I bring them, feed them? I think physical needs. And I want to know details about my trip. Are we going to build wells? Show them better ag methods? Teach the children? I have to force myself back to the bare reality: As deep as these people's physical needs are, their spiritual needs are far deeper -- even more urgent. And that's just hard to swallow sometimes. But I know it is true. As it is written...

One thing I know I've slacked off on preparing for is the spiritual warfare that I'll undoubtedly be facing. I blew through those two books and have put it aside since then. If you will, continue to pray that God would prepare my mind and my heart, the hearts and minds of my teammates and the hearts and minds of the people in Lopit. I cannot let the Devil have his way -- I will not forget how very real, how very present he is, here and in Africa. Pray I do not neglect to recognize life for what is it -- a battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment