Saturday, February 14, 2009

Continuing education...

I remember being at Stratford a few weeks back and hearing a marriage-related sermon. This wasn’t the first I’ve heard, obviously. Marriage is an important thing because the Bible has a lot to say about it, so it’s only natural pastors have a lot to say about it, too. But about halfway through, I realized, Hey! These sorts of things suddenly have more relevance in my life. Hooray! (Weird!)

God’s been using these past few months to continue my education on what it means to be a godly woman. And, to be honest, I love it.

Eric got into trouble last night at dinner with my folks for saying I’ve become increasingly girlie since we first met. My instinct was to be offended and give him a not-so-girlie punch on the shoulder. But as I thought about it more, I wasn’t so put off by the idea.

Seems this thing with Eric has unlocked in me a lot of the woman God wants me to be. And that’s exciting.

I’ve been listening to a lot of sermons about women has wives, women as mothers, women as homebuilders. And all of that resonates within me these days. I’m so content, so happy, so fulfilled to “simply” be E’s wife and serve God in that way, in the role he created me for.

(I can imagine the look on my high school friends’ faces if they knew how God had turned the Andi they knew completely around! Haha.)

Eric says I’m a strange dichotomy—I have this part of me (Eric calls it business mode) that’s confident and competent and sure and bold. But then there’s this other, seemingly conflicting side of me that’s just a little girl who needs to be held.

I guess learning about being a godly woman has for me involved accepting both of those parts, embracing the dissonance and using who God has created me—all parts of me—to be, for his glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment