Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Omar al-Bashir

You know you're going to a special place when its leader is FAMOUS.

Of course, I'd rather Sudan's Omar al-Bashir were famous for things other than heading a campaign to kill hundreds of thousands of civilians in a jihad.

Lots of people (especially those who aren't fans of my Sudan plans) have directed me to Parade's article about the 10 worst dictators in the world. Bashir tops the list... for the second year in a row.

Super.

I know it seems I'm making light of all this -- and maybe I am -- but there's nothing much else I can do. I mean, God has me going to Sudan. And I'm certainly not trying to make light of the human tragedy in Sudan -- oh, no, no, no, not at all. It's absolute horror. But shouldn't this just increase my urgency to get over there? And while I struggle with bringing it home, making the things that are going on in Sudan real to me, I know (Lord willing) I'll be there in six months, and I won't be able to NOT see the horrible reality of it all.

I can only imagine how I'll struggle, seeing this guy escape condemnation for his horrific acts, in light of how I react in a situation so (relatively) trivial as the one I have here -- a sports editor not being held accountable for the things he does and does not do.

Funny how things can come into perspective.

Here's the article. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment