Saturday, April 07, 2007

“God has died.”

Do you remember those blessed off days in grade school in high school?
I didn’t even mind school so much, but I fondly remember vacation days. It was like enjoying some forbidden fruit—sleeping in on a weekday. What delicious scandal! Absolutely thrilling.
And, though I was still up before the rosters this morning, I’m feeling a bit of that same excitement now, as it’s nearly seven, I’ve been in the Word for three hours and have no compelling, pressing reason to close the Good Book now.
Good Friday, you know. No school.
Or, as the kids told us last night—some of our students had the good mind to come let us know there was no school; we would never have heard that from the “administration” (ie: drunk Willy B.)—we have no class because… “God has died.”
Huh?
Yeah, apparently the message went a little awry somewhere.
Don’t worry, we good missionaries assured them that God (the Father) never died. In fact, he is very much alive; but today is the day Jesus (also God, the Son) went to the cross to die for our sins.
Either way (I rather prefer the latter), we’re off school today. And I know it’s Good Friday and there could be an argument that this isn’t such a joyful day, since it’s when Jesus was tortured on that tree. But, first, there’s no school, and I will admit—that makes this teacher very happy. And, second (and more… spiritually), I feel like I can be happy because I know the end of the story, you know? I can see this day as another in a God’s wonderful work of redemption, when the veil in the Temple—not everything—came tumbling down.
Ah, that blessed Man who went to the cross!
Unfortunately, just as Jesus was resurrected, so will be school.
But, thankfully, while Christ did his good work in just three days, school will take a bit longer—we’ve got four until Monday.
Happy Easter, everyone. He is RISEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment