You know those times when you’re so sick people talk over you in hushed tones, as if you’re not there?
I’ve had a lot of that lately.
Not ideal.
I can only remember bits and pieces, but I seem to remember being quickly declared a “poor thing” and the phrases “she is really miserable” and “bless her heart” being often on Pattie’s lips. (The latter phrase makes me curious, as she’s often explained that in Texan, it’s a sort of well-intentioned caveat phrase. For example, “Aw, he’s so stupid… bless his heart.” Or, “She’s just terribly incompetent… bless her heart.” Hmm.)
Well, (bless my heart) I’m finally feeling a bit better. Which is good, because one more night of body-wrenching headache and my body rejecting everything—even water—and I don’t know how I would have survived. I’m not sure I’ve ever been so miserable or so helpless. I don’t even know what it was, except to know that it wasn’t malaria, otherwise there might have been some small thing we could do. Meh.
Thank God for Pattie, our resident caretaker. She really comes alive when one of us is sick, which is especially good because KP and I are inept in that particular area. Left to ourselves, we’d probably just sit and stare at the sick person with a confused look on our face.
Anyway, like I said, I think I’m on the upswing. Though I’m a lot skinnier and weaker than I’m used to, at least I have my wits about me now, for which I’m thankful!
Keep praying, if you will, because a lot of us are getting sick. Kim just got over malaria. Iris had that bad case not long ago. Jen is in Nairobi now, seeing a specialist. Martin and Cath have malaria now. Little Salome and Philip are really being tossed about, and I’m sure all these long nights of nursing people are going to crash down on Pattie soon enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment