Friday, September 12, 2008

A lot to say.

You know, I’ve had quite a lot of things to say for quite a while now, and I just haven’t got to it.

 

And, so… here goes.

 

I’m starting to feel alive again.

 

Those first few weeks back were really rough. I was worn out and having a hard time getting excited in the fog of exhaustion. I was scheduled to chat with my church about my time in Sudan, and I was honestly a bit wary about it. I felt a little drained from answering the same questions over and over again and was worried I’d be giving pat answers and not really conveying how my time really was and how truly thankful I was for them partnering with me.

 

So, that’s how I went into my presentation. Not exactly on my game.

 

But instead of drawing more energy from me, being there with my church put a new fire in me. They were just so interested, so passionate. (And they hung with me even though I’m a bit of a bumbling fool.)

 

Our team was warned a lot before we left—as part of our re-entry prep—that we needed to have realistic expectations for our homecoming. More bluntly, that we should be prepared for no one to care. For no one to even ask about our two years in Sudan or about the plight of the people there. Even for people to avoid us.

 

But, I dunno… That’s definitely not been my experience. The basement of the church was full that night. People’ve been asking about my kids by name. They’ve been apologizing for asking too many questions. And I’m afraid I’m bordering on offending folks by not getting together with them yet to tell them about things.

 

I guess I’m just spoiled rotten. But thankful.

 

And, like I said, feeling alive again. I left that night with tired feet but an excited, energetic heart. I couldn’t wait to learn all about JESUS Film so I could get them in on that, too.

 

It’s safe to say it was a huge turning point for me. I’m back on the go. Thanks for running with me. :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 PM

    That is awesome to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea, glad you're doing better. Pretty much everyone I know who's gone back for the first time recently had a really rough time readjusting. My teamleader once went to a mall, and while his wife was at a shoe store, he sat down and started sobbing for no apparent reason. Not something I'm looking forward to (the re-adjusting, but sobbing by shoe-stores doesn't sound like fun either...)
    Anyways, praying that you continue to be strenghtened as you lean on Him.
    Just thought i'd write a note and say hi. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete