I woke up a bit wily this morning.
So, yikes. Watch out.
I think it was the combo of a really good weekend, too many episodes of the Office, a touch of cynicism about the curve balls God is pitching me, and the very real idea that if I don’t step it up this week, I’m in very big trouble.
All of that translates into… wily.
(And scratching out this blog on scrap paper while I’m subbing at Ottawa High. Blah.)
Ok, so. Good weekend. I went to the Illini game in Wisconsin with my brother, sister-in-law and brother’s college drinking buddy.
My experience from the game tells me that Wisconsin fans are not the Big Ten’s finest. Eww.
It also threw into question my perspective of my sister-and-law (a Wisconsinite).
She used to be uber cool, but then she rocked up in an entirely Badger outfit. An outfit that she’d bought the night before, specifically for the game. And apparently also for the specific purpose of throwing me into moral throes—do I loathe her for her choice of loyalties or respect her because she has any loyalties at all?
Actually, said Illini game even got me thinking about spiritual things. Namely, is it OK to pray for a specific outcome in a sporting event? I often come to this crossroads unwittingly. I’m sitting there—in this case freezing my tush off—a little stressed, and I naturally start to call on God. I mean, who else would I call on? But then I get a bit into my prayer and realize that I’m praying for a sporting event and fall into a stupor about the validity of that.
It’s hard to imagine the Kingdom purposes in winning a game. But then again I’m sure there could be some. And if I’m praying for God to be glorified in an Illini victory, then isn’t that OK? In such cases, the tumblings of my mind often continue for some time before I realize I should be paying more attention to the game. And the cycle starts again.
Gosh, life is so complicated.
In other news, Dad turned 50 yesterday. Which basically means he’s ancient. However, there were some personal benefits of Daddy’s going geriatric—namely, free food and lots of cake at his surprise party. So, all in all… I’m happy for the guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment