Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Locusts in the ivy.

Honestly, what's next for the Cubs? Locusts ravaging the ivy?

As Mike Nadel said this week, we need little less than a high-powered telescope to see the top of the NL Central right now. And even though Wood's coming back this week (insert obligatory, counterfeit excitement here), his fellow All-Rehab team member Prior is still a long way from taking the mound at the Friendly Confines. And how much longer is DLee out? *whimper*

“Baker has been under fire for a multitude of managerial sins, including (but not limited to): using bad lineups, making poor pitching decisions, having a defeatist attitude, being too optimistic, refusing to use young players, saying silly things, not arguing enough with umpires, not having his team prepared, not trashing the clubhouse as any manly man would, and, I believe, raising gas prices above $3.25 a gallon.” Haha. I concur!

I'm not sure I can endure another picture of my friend KT and her dad and brother, in Padres shirts, grinning mischievously as they wield brooms. And not just one broom. Lots of brooms. Lots and lots of brooms. But I suppose we deserve that, dropping seven stinkin' games to a team like San Diego.

Clearly, the Cubs are poisoning my last month and a half here in the States. And, clearly, I’m taking it personally. Then there’s Barry Bonds. Most of my job right now is waiting for this steroid-enhanced man to hit a home run. Do you know how hard it was for me not to write some evil headline in tonight’s paper? The man was playing at hitter-friendly Minute Maid Park. Nicknamed — ever-so-appropriately, since he’ll probably hit 714 and 715 there — the Juice Box.

Asterisk, asterisk, asterisk.

End baseball rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment