Saturday, May 13, 2006

Super-spiritual Friday.

Recent life updates:
  • The Cubs still stink. More and more each day.
  • I got to talk with the Grace missions committee Thursday night, but I had just gotten these weird teeth things from the dentist that morning, so I ended up telling them about my miss(hhhhh)ions trip to S(ssssssssss)udan. I hope they took pity on the missionary with a lis(sssssssss)p.
  • Speaking of teeth, three people in the last week have told me mine are really white. And I’m talking mid-conversation, out-of-no-where style. What is that about?
  • Just now, I banged my forehead off the sink while I was washing my face. That, my friends, takes talent.
  • Directly after that, my slightly-inebriated younger brother came by and was That Creepy Face in the Window at 2:30 a.m. Don’t worry, I gave him sass.
  • I ate a silly amount of cookie dough today. For shame, Andrea.
I hope no one was looking for a super-spiritual post this morning.

But here’s an update from the Sudan. I got my team manual the other day, which was uber-exciting. Or, rather, it was… until I read the thing (68 pages) cover-to-cover and found it answered very few of my pressing questions. (ie: Mouth wash?!?!?) However, I did find out some really interesting stuff. For example, I won’t be living in a grass hut like I thought. They’re building us cement-block houses. I’m actually really bummed because they told us we’re going to have a refrigerator and air conditioning window unit (?!?!?!?!?!) in our houses, as well, which sort of bumps up against the whole “living simply” idea of TIMO. As our contact from En Gedi put it: “Such a decision means that you will not be living as ‘simply’ as many of your neighbors, but the upside is, you will still be living.” Well played, Rob.

I’m confused because I also thought we didn’t have electricity. Maybe they’ve got some pretty sweet generators? These details will probably go on being mysterious until I get there.

But — if you’re worried I’m going to be pampered, don’t — we don’t have running water and I’m going to have to endure a “long-drop” toilet. Whatever that means.

(I’m choosing to not think about it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment