Monday, August 14, 2006

If you must...

A quick note on communication.
Email is my main form of instant communication, but it’s expensive, expensive. It cost me $45 to get emails the other day because of some attachments. Yikes! This won’t be a common thing—I’ve asked Ginger to filter out this kind of stuff from now on. So, please, I’d LOVE to hear from you. But nothing too long and no attachments. And it might be easier for me to just read the emails. I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to respond. Know that each word is precious to me, however! Don’t get discouraged!
In that same vein, regular mail is GREAT. I’m yet to get any, but the anticipation is killing me. :) People keep asking about things they can send, so I polled my teammates and here are a few things we wouldn’t mind getting from the States.

Seasoning packets—chili, soup, BBQ, anything like that
Kool-Aid—you can send a packet in a regular letter without paying extra.
Candy (always!)
Little baking things (bush cooking = hard)
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ (that’s sort of just for me)
Small tank tops and sleeveless dresses from the Salvation Army would be wonderful for me, as I brought all the wrong clothes. Ha. (That’s more of a wish-list thing.)
I can’t think of anything else right now...

BUT—the big but—as great as it is to get stuff here, it’s really expensive for you to send and sometimes for me to get, with duty and all. A lot of missionaries I know have suggested just telling people to take the money they’d use to send stuff and put it in my account so I can use it to buy things here. Soooo… if you just want to go that route, I’m saving up money for a nice set of Chaco (or something like that) sandals to be sent over here. The ones I have just aren’t going to cut it, and those are the sandals of choice.
Anyway, it’s weird for me to ask for stuff, but people have been asking… so… there you go….

c/o AIM Serv
Box 21171
Nairobi, Kenya 00505
(Write "Missionary Supplies--Not for Commercial Sale" on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment