17 Aug 06
So about that village telegram I was talking about. It just got better.
Today I was laid up at the house with this bum ankle, but we were having the team over later for dinner and needed to get messages to all of them.
There are always little kids hanging out outside our house, so I decided it’d be fun to have a little experiment. I wrote notes to the fellas in Longija, the ladies in Sohot and one family in Fuerra. It took a lot of gesturing and looking silly, but I finally got the message across to the kids that I wanted them to take the notes to the other villages. Luckily, us foreign folk—even the Kenyan family—stick out and everyone knows who we are, so I just had to keep repeating their names.
The experiment was a success, as within an hour we had each of the kids back on the compound, out of breath but with reply notes from two of the three huts. Haha. I was pretty giddy. Who needs email? Who needs cell phones?
I love the bush.
No comments:
Post a Comment