We moved into our houses last night. It was a long, long day of carrying things are hiking. We loaded up heavy bags with our things and food and supplies and had to carry them on our backs and heads all the way up the mountain to our place. Let me tell you—I was exhausted. UGH.
You know those times when you can’t even lift your arms anymore? That’s what it was like. And shaky legs! It’s straight up at times on big bolders.
Our homes are wonderful. They have mud walls and three bedrooms with a kitchen/living area. The bathroom hole even has a box with a toilet seat on it! This is quite the luxury, considering we’ve had just a hole at the AIC compound for the last two weeks. We had almost forgotten how it all worked, haha. I was thinking this morning how weird it will be to hear a toilet flush when we visit Nairobi!
Our houses are tucked so far in the village, it’s sort of confusing trying to get to them. When you are walking there, you don’t look much further than your own feet, since you’re trying not to trip over rocks and things. So you just look up after half an hour of wakling and realize you’re at your front door! It’s great and all, except when you start on the trail back to the compound or try to walk there by yourself. Suddenly, looking at your feet is a problem. And when you’re not looking at your feet, you’re more and more aware that you don’t have a clue where you’re going! A lot of times, all you have to do, though is be white—this is easy and takes no effort—and ask the local people. They’re super helpful. You just point all around and say “American” (what they call the AIC compound) or “Kenya” (what they call the men’s hut in Lonjija) or our village, Husa, or wherever you are going—the well, the clinic, whatever. They’re glad to point you in the right direction or take you there or even carry your things.
(It was hilarious when even the men, even Stephan—a bush missionary/strong army guy who is super hardcore—is struggling with a load and then some local women will just toss it up on her head like it’s no problem. SO GREAT.)
They’ll even watch you as your go for a long time. Once I was probably 300m away and I heard a chorus of shouts from the hilltop I’d just been on. Apparently, I’d missed my turn and they were letting me know!
I had a little situation last night where I got caught coming back by myself in the dark, then the pouring rain. I didn’t want to make a wrong turn, so I went to our Lopit friend Patrick’s compound and three boys led me up quite readily. (Patrick is a Lopit Presby pastor who is great. Rachel, now he’s my hero, too. It’s such a small world!) it’s nice to know we’re so taken care of here. (Insert disclaimer about not being so naïve as to trust everyone. I’ve gotten about a dozen emails about that. But people aren’t all out to get you, either!)
No comments:
Post a Comment