Yesterday, Kim learned the best cultural thing ever.
She was with her language helper, Mark—a constant font of language and culture knowledge… and great entertainment—and he burped. So, naturally, she laughed at him.But then he informed her that burping was a special skill in Lopitland.
Yes, it takes a very rare person to be able to do it. In fact, he’s only one of three people in the whole of Lopit who can let out long, drawn-out burps.
Which you’d think would be just random trivia, until you learn that these three gifted people, by virtue of their burping, are believed to be healers.
That’s right, healers.
Because they can burp.
You probably think I’m making this up, but I’m dead serious. And Pastor G even confirmed it today. Crazy.
Also today, Kimmie told Mark that she, too, was able to let out long burps (I can bear witness to this fact), along with nearly every person in the United States of America.
He was impressed, I guess, but quickly lowered his voice and asked if she could take some bad news.
Apparently, also in the Lopit culture, they say those burping people won’t live for very long, unless they become witchdoctors.
I think she took the bad news in stride…
Aww That's so cute! Tell Jen Ali
ReplyDelete( her neice ) Misses her! and keep up the good work writing your REALLY good at it!