It’s probably not so hard to imagine that birthday’s in the bush can be a bummer if you’re not careful, so we here in TIMO (at least the single female contingency) do our best to play ‘em up big. And we’ve been doing a lot of playing lately, with Kimmie and Craiger’s birthdays last month, Pattie’s earlier this month, Martin’s yesterday and Jen’s today. Wowza. We gave Kim a weeklong birthday celebration. (The gift that kept on giving and giving and giving.) Craiger got a TIMO madlib. Pattie got a special radio show, complete with honky-talking Big Tex the radio announcer.
And Jen got malaria.
Ok, no, wait. We didn’t give her the malaria. That just happened. Haha. Poor thing.
Luckily, I think Jen’s probably one of the more resilient team members (and, like me, isn’t crazy about birthdays anyway), so she’s doing OK. She was a’suffering last night, but I think she cycled out of her fever just long enough to enjoy a special birthday tea this afternoon.Cath gave her a “Red Sox Day,” complete with a cake in the shape of a sock and a ball and a viewing of Fever Pitch later tonight. Each of us also made her a special birthday baseball card of ourselves, which I think she really liked.
(You can see them there in the picture, with Jen grinning away like mad. Jen informed me today that her parents asked if we’d had a fight, since there weren’t any pictures of her up lately. So you’re going to get a spattering now. I hope you enjoy!)
Anyway, like I said, we do our best to make birthday’s special. The packages our families send never come. (My mom sent one in December for my February birthday; I still haven’t got it. Kimmie’s Mom sent one, also in December, for her late April birthday. It’s also MIA, along with Craig’s. We pray often for our mail to come…) We miss home a bit more. Sometimes we even get malaria. (Poor Jen!) But I think, all in all, we do alright. :)
And Jen got malaria.
Ok, no, wait. We didn’t give her the malaria. That just happened. Haha. Poor thing.
Luckily, I think Jen’s probably one of the more resilient team members (and, like me, isn’t crazy about birthdays anyway), so she’s doing OK. She was a’suffering last night, but I think she cycled out of her fever just long enough to enjoy a special birthday tea this afternoon.Cath gave her a “Red Sox Day,” complete with a cake in the shape of a sock and a ball and a viewing of Fever Pitch later tonight. Each of us also made her a special birthday baseball card of ourselves, which I think she really liked.
(You can see them there in the picture, with Jen grinning away like mad. Jen informed me today that her parents asked if we’d had a fight, since there weren’t any pictures of her up lately. So you’re going to get a spattering now. I hope you enjoy!)
Anyway, like I said, we do our best to make birthday’s special. The packages our families send never come. (My mom sent one in December for my February birthday; I still haven’t got it. Kimmie’s Mom sent one, also in December, for her late April birthday. It’s also MIA, along with Craig’s. We pray often for our mail to come…) We miss home a bit more. Sometimes we even get malaria. (Poor Jen!) But I think, all in all, we do alright. :)
She’s Topps. So, here’s Jen with her baseball cards. I spent a good half an hour at team day Wednesday, trying to explain to people just what baseball cards were and what position each one of them should be. We were each members of the BoSox World Series team. I wisely picked Bill Mueller—former Cub and AL batting champion. I consider it due reward for actually knowing what baseball is… I told Steve he had to be the Green Monster. That, for better or worse, was lost on him.

Red Sox Nation—errr—Village. Kimpie and I really cowboyed up for Jen’s birthday. That’s coal marks on our cheeks. You gotta do what you’ve gotta do, you know? On the hike to Sohot, everyone kept asking what was on our cheeks. We just told them they were dirty. (How would you explain that?) Our German and South African friends weren’t quite as satisfied with that answer and wondered why the heck we had coal marks on our cheekbones. Sigh. Hello intercultural confusion.
hi!!!!tell Jen, that her other nease Sammy,misses her more than her other nease.(Ali)i just found out that jen got sick.(i found out that she got sick on july 4th 2007)i miss her so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!i will send more comments to you guys later!
ReplyDelete