Though our stint at the primary school didn’t last long, with all the random vacations and confusion and lack of organization, we were there long enough to make quite a lot of friends among the teenage boys.
Our P5, P6 and P7 boys love to come by here and hang out—whether it just be to join the myriad of other children enjoying the Whiteys Show or to play cards or to help us with language or for help in math, etc.
They are so much fun.
The other day, Kim and I were playing 80’s music on my iPod speakers, and they told us to come dance with them. Long story short—they now know how to “Walk like an Egyptian.” And my stomach still hurts from laughing. Now they keep asking us to come dance with them.
They’ve taken to calling Kim, Hyena. I think that’s hilarious. They’ll walk by the fence and call to her. Hahaha. Last night, I got an animal name of my own. I’m Leopard. Kim tried to get them to call me Snake. It didn’t catch. Though once, I was bantering with Kimmie and Akang broke through, from behind the fence, “You, Snake—shh!!” We were rolling. This probably isn’t as funny to you as it was to me…
Anyway, Pattie made the mistake of asking what her animal name was.
Elephant.
That’s a high compliment ‘round these parts. In Africa, the bigger the better. I especially love the days when they tell me how fat I’m getting and how great that is and how soon I’ll be big, big, BIG! Super encouraging for an American. Luckily, I can turn around and have someone tell me I’m getting too skinny and I need to eat more…
No comments:
Post a Comment