Sunday, April 13, 2008

Home at Last, Home at Last...

Thank God Almighty, we’re home at last!

I woke up this morning to the sun glowing red-orange over the mountainside, and it just felt right.

We flew in yesterday, after having had our bush flight canceled and resurrected a couple of times over. (That’s just the way it goes.) Lopit is beautiful from the sky. I wish you could see it. You’d hardly know it was here, hidden away in the mountains. It’s funny, flying over this part of Southern Sudan, because—to me, anyway—it looks like a whole bunch of nothing, especially during dry season, when it’s all just dust. (Does that contradict me saying it’s beautiful? I stand by my contradiction.)

But, we’re finally here.

I will admit to hoofing it up the mountain as fast as possible, overstuffed, uneven rucksack and all. Our friends saw us from afar (someone is always watching…) and came to shake hands or hollered down at us from their perches.

I’d been daydreaming of my reunion with little Monkey Do for a quite a while now, so you can imagine my heartache when she looked at me like I was an alien and took flight, whimpering.

Kids are so fickle.

(It didn’t take her long to get back into following us around and begging for attention, don’t worry. She’s here now, in my lap.)

Otherwise, it’s good to be back in the house, back with my roommates, back in the village and back with our little friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment