Sunday, April 09, 2006

I love Todd Walker.

I have about a thousand things to say but no time to say them. We're going to go bullet style today. Ready? Go.

  • My friends Abby (see her earlier letter) and Vanessa sent word about trouble on Gilligan's Island. "About one month ago members of our larger 'family' living here but from *******, took hundreds of shoe boxes from operation Christmas child and distributed these in many villages. The religious leaders here were not happy about this, but they were doing nothing wrong. But the leaders kept a close watch on the happenings, and when two 'GOOD BOOKS' were found they had their ammunition. One brother was arrested, but set free within 24 hours. But the shepherd of this family has been questioned, and has met with many government officials and they are angry. Please plead for our family here that they may not be weakened but strengthened by this, but we are now not sure what will happen with their shepherd, He may be forced to leave the island. SO please plead during these next few weeks, especially this week." I'm thinking you'll be able to read through the code. Anyway, they ask that you would pray for the situation and that it would be used for the advancement of the Gospel. Don't worry -- they're not in danger. Worse case they get questioned. It's all good.
  • I'm a doofus and just realized my support is due a month earlier than I thought it was. That is, on May 30th. In about seven weeks. So, please pray for that -- I'm still less than 50% along and need about $700 more of monthly pledge. But I'm confident the Lord will bring it in. Lots of calm going on here in Oglesby. (After the initial freak-out stage, that is.) Pray for self-discipline in my work and new contacts.
  • I speak at a women's group Thursday. Keep that in your prayers, if ya will.
  • Ummm... but there seemed to be so much to say...
  • Have you ever bought a one-way ticket? Yeah, me neither. I started looking at tickets to New York this week. (We stay at HQ in NY two days before we leave for Africa.) That's kind of exciting, but kind of scary, since I'm not 100% sure I'm really going. Pray I'd be able to take this step -- and steps like it -- in confidence. :)
  • Pray for the details.
  • Pray for my excitement level. All this Africa stuff combined with some amazing baseball from the Cubs has me going at top speed. I don't want to crash and burn.

And, lastly, here's a cool story for you. Last weekend at church, Pastor Jack talked on Matthew 20:1-16, the parable of the laborers in the vineyard. It was such a nice thing for me to read -- this familiar parable -- because I was reminded of when I first read it. Before I was a Christian, as God was really starting to work in my life, I came across it. I remember feeling SO RELEIVED that it wasn't too late for me, that God would still forgive me, that I could still accept this Jesus guy and still have the gift of eternal life, even though I didn't "start" until I was 20. Ha. It's funny looking back now. But, wow, that was a great day.

For your reading enjoyment: 1"For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 and to them he said, 'You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.' 5 So they went. Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing. And he said to them, 'Why do you stand here idle all day?' 7 They said to him, 'Because no one has hired us.' He said to them, 'You go into the vineyard too.' 8 And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.' 9 And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. 10 Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. 11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, 12 saying, 'These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.' 13 But he replied to one of them, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. 15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?' 16 So the last will be first, and the first last."

I've GOT to get better about posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment