Saturday, April 22, 2006

Ice cream and other modern wonders...

The funny thing about this whole loving ice cream thing is that I'm allergic to milk. Yeah, have been since I was a baby. So eating my favorite food makes me terribly ill. I think that goes to show the strength of the hold ice cream has over me.

I spent most of the last -- say -- eight years trying to mentally overcome said allergy. I really think I had it mastered my senior year of college, but I've lost the art since graduation, hence the terrible ache in my stomach right now.

Folks tell me there isn't ice cream in Africa. Good ice cream, at least. And certainly not in the bush of Sudan. Meh.

Anyway, I've had an excited last couple of days. I had a really sweet time with the ladies of Grace United Methodist on Thursday afternoon. I'm telling you, they were just so nice. It was awesome. It's nice enough when whatever group I'm talking to feigns interest or -- even better! -- asks questions, as opposed to just staring at me blankly. But these ladies were genuinely interested in what I was doing (or just incredible actresses) and that was a huge blessing to me. Their pastor, Jen, is really cool, too. She's just full of energy for the Lord. I dunno, I could go on forever, but I'll spare you. Suffice it to say, it was great.

God's making some racket in the support area, too. Check this out.
Support-o-Meter:
Outgoing: 72% ($6,829 out of $9,482)
Monthly Pledges: 60% ($780 out of $1,305)
Overall: 62.6%

Sure, there’s still a long way to go, but my outgoing sure is getting close, and people are chipping away at my monthly goal. I’m confident. I’m trying to stay that way. Besides, 39 days is a long time.
Relatively.
If you think about it long enough, positively enough.
Tons of time.
;)

Tonight Oglesby Union started its missions conference with some delicious food and a neat speaker who talked about his experience in Bangkok. Aside from that, it was just nice to sit and talk to folks. I don’t get to do that enough, I don’t think. Mark even joined me, so that was cool. I think we were both amazed by how many missionaries OUC supports—either fulltime folks all across the globe or shorttermers who set out to all sorts of places. Once again, I realize how blessed I am to have ended up here. Crazy how God works.

Alright, I’ve got a busy few days ahead of me, so I ought get some sleep. Tomorrow I get to go horseback riding with the Antrims, then come back for the missions conference stuff, then probably avoid going to a wild party at Doug’s. And Sunday it’s talking to the wee folk at church, then KT’s bridal shower in Champaign, then back to Ottawa to roll out Monday’s edition of the sports section. Pray for energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment