Sunday, September 09, 2007

Earnestness.

I’ve mentioned before that I like to indulge in a classic novel every now and then out here, that it helps keep me sane and my mind active on things a little less dense than theology and Lopit language. My mind has been pleasantly stuck on this passage from David Copperfield since I read it a few days ago.
“My meaning simply is, that whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do well; that whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself to completely; that in great aims and in small, I have always been thoroughly in earnest. I have never believed it possible that any natural or improved ability can claim immunity from the companionship of the steady, plain, hard-working qualities, and hope to gain its end. There is no such thing as such fulfillment on this earth. Some happy talent, and some fortunate opportunity, may form the two sides of the ladder on which some men mount, but the rounds of that ladder must be made of stuff to stand wear and tear; and there is no substitute for thorough-going, ardent and sincere earnestness. Never to put one hand to anything, on which I could throw my whole self; and never to affect depreciation of my work, whatever it was; I find, now, to have been my golden rules.” –Charles Dickens, David Copperfield
I’ve read it again and again, and I’ve wedged it in my mind as another buttress for my new resolve to really tackle my language learning. Today I sat down with words swimming in my head, ready to just lay off for a day, but this passage—in plain English!—came floating back to my head. “Never put one hand to anything on which you can throw your whole self. … Whatever you try to do, try with all your heart to do it well… If you’re going to devote yourself to something, devote yourself completely.”
I am devoted to these people out here, so I’d better take on with all earnestness my charge of learning the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment