Sunday, September 09, 2007

Presents of mine.

Francis comes for the children’s Bible every morning, but this week has been different. When he has met me at the front door to get it from me—usually after waiting at my window for me to wake up—he’s handed me some small present in exchange.
Two days ago, he gave me some sort of small fruit. “People eat it,” he assured me.
Then today it was… well, I really don’t know what it was. Some ballish nut or fruit or something.
The best, however, was the inaugural present. It was some sort of small clay creature, which Pattie, Kim and I sat over for a long time, wondering what it could be. We’re used to seeing cows and goats and even cars before, but never something like this. After a lot of Lopit gibberish and gesturing from the kids, we came to the conclusion that it was—drum roll please—a tick.
A clay tick.
I’m sure hoping this is some Lopit gesture of deep friendship I’m yet to completely comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment