I suppose I should blog about our wedding ceremony, eh?
Like I said, my one objective for Saturday was to end up married to Eric.
We pulled that off.
And—thanks largely to my mom’s tireless efforts—it went off in beautiful fashion.
To be honest, it was a long day, and some of it remains a blur, but we truly didn’t have any big day smash-ups.
Well, OK, there was that one harrowing moment when we realized about 20 minutes before go time that we forgot my flowers in the cabin at Grand Bear. But Dad got on his horse and saved the day, with time to spare. He was even able to catch his breath before he walked me down the aisle.
There are moments I hope I never forget.
And though I was dreading that instant when they opened the doors and everyone was looking back at me, I do hope I never forget it. As nerve-racking as the sound of it was—the rustle of everyone standing up and turning around—and as blush-inducing as all the flashes were and as far from comfortable as I was being the center of attention…. It was a special moment.
Standing there on my dad’s arm. Simultaneously taking in a deep, nervous breath. Looking at each other and hearing him say to me, “You’re going to have to hold me up.”
Walking down that flower-speckled aisle and seeing people dear to me—my family, individuals and families who’ve been behind me and invested in my life and ministry for years, roommates from college, teammates from Sudan, people who led me to Christ, people who live out an example and challenge for me of what it means to walk with Christ, near and old friends. All dear. All there.
And, finally… Eric. The man I’ve been praying for for years, the one God’s been preparing me for my entire life. The man I love and adore and respect—so strong my leader yet shaking a bit as we stood there three-abreast—my father, me, Eric.
Standing sandwiched between the two biggest men in my life.
Standing, before the absolute Biggest Man in all life, transferring my covenant relationship from my father to this man.
Standing, as my dad let my arm go and kissed me on the temple.
And standing stronger, having taken Eric’s arm and stepped before Pastor Steve.
There’s nothing so sacred or so serious in this life as the marriage covenant, as it reflects Christ himself and his bride, the Church. Everything sort of fell away as Steve opened up the Word to expound on that relationship. It was as if we’d ascended the altar for our own personal sermon. And as Steve dug into the Scriptures and charged us with the weight of the commitment we were about to make, and as I looked at Eric, I knew there was no other man I would enter into such a holy thing with.
Then Eric’s hand was holding my face, and then our first kiss.
And then suddenly the pews were present again, the world swelled suddenly outward, and our friends and family were clapping their approval as Steve introduced us as man and wife.
And I was laughing and smiling at my new husband and fluttering back down that aisle. Joyful in the day and joyful in the days ahead and joyful in our Savior, who knew and knows all the days as he works all things for good for us, because by his grace we love him and trust him.
What a glorious, awesome thing.
And what a glorious, awesome ceremony it was.
WE ARE AT A LOSS FOR WORDS...HOW CAN WE SAY HOW WONDERFUL THE DAY WAS.....WE JUST ENJOYED EVERY MOMENT...IT WAS SO ''RIGHT''...IT WILL BE AMONG OUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF THE LITTLE GIRL NEXT DOOR......LOVE YOU!!!
ReplyDelete