Saturday, April 18, 2009

Things passed down...

There are things about how my parents relationship works or our family’s household worked when we were kids that I’ve unconsciously absorbed into my idea of what marriage and a household is.

I’m starting to become conscious of these things lately, as we work out the details of life as a We.

Sometimes I find myself waiting for Eric to do something or assuming it’s his responsibility, because it’s what my father always did. When we were leaving our hotel room in Vegas, Eric asked me if I’d done the final sweep to see if we’d left anything. I cocked my head at him funny at first, because—umm?—that was his job. My dad always did that at the hotel room. (Even if I’d attempted to do a final sweep, he’d always do the final final sweep.)

Thankfully, these kind of moments haven’t led to any conflict. Just mostly me smirking to myself as I realize my expectations.

Then there’s things that my parents did that I want to incorporate into our daily routine. It occurred to me, perhaps in college, that my mom—throughout my life—often started conversations with me by saying, “Your dad and I were talking last night…” or, “Your dad told me about such-and-such last night…” or, “Last night, your dad said you told him this and that…”

I figured out that my parents, as they go to bed each night, spend some time talking with each other and touching base. Or, well, I guess I’ve never directly asked my mom if that’s the case. But it seems to be true. And as Eric and I were quickly thrown back into the spin of daily life, I asked him if we could put that into practice, too.

It’s funny, the things you take from your parents…

2 comments:

  1. Ok Andi, I just got all caught up on your blog of married life! Whew! jk. I really enjoy reading your thoughts on the new moments and such and that you're open to sharing thoughts that I still think I wouldn't be able to share on blogger, so I'm glad you are because I have a feeling we think alike. Although, I totally think alike with Eric in his laundry strata-- I totally do that, even here in Kenya, I hang the not-so-dirty clothes on a line in my room or fold then next to the shelf of clothes in the wardrobe. Ha! Keep up the thoughts, I laugh at loud at some of the comments, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you can enjoy the sitcom that is my life, even from Kenya.

    And, truth be told--I also think alike with Eric in his laundry strata. I just don't do the half-in, half-out thing with the laundry basket. I hang it up or set it aside like you do. Especially in Sudan. Moo-moos were a lot of work to handwash, and I wasn't going to do that until the thing was for sure dirty. :)

    Say hello to Java for me. And Toi Market. And all things Africa.

    ReplyDelete