Saturday, July 01, 2006

London bridges falling down...

So, today I got to watch the England and Portugal's World Cup game in London!


Unfortunately, England lost on penalty kicks, which really made me sad.

My teammate Kim pretended to be sad with me. Actually, she and Jen (my other TIMO teammate) were super gracious to me in sitting beside me (and a large contingency of Brits) while I hung on every kick. It was great fun. Smashing, even.

Earlier, we had the chance to go into the city -- we have a 14-hour layover! -- and we saw Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace and a whole spattering of adorable English telephone booths. (That's Kim on the left and Jen on the right -- both Sudan TIMO teammates.)

We decided that everything in London looks like it came straight out of a toy village -- from the bobbys on horseback to the giant brick buildings, guards with huge fuzzy black hats to those silly telephone booths.

While this all might have the appearance of a vaction, trust me, it's far from that. I feel like 16 hours on a plane, coupled with a couple dozen more in various airports, has earned us a bit of touristy time. We've had a lot of funny hangups, too. When we were trying to check our luggage into storage in London, the fire alarm went off. So we had to stand there forever waiting for them to put out a fire. And then in the city, while I was buying my mad-style, 70%-off England soccer jersey, this GINORMOUS gay pride parade went by. It was definitely a nice reminder of the depravity of man and how much work there is to be done -- Romans 1, right here in London.

Alright, I've got two adorable MK toddlers wanting my attention, so I'm off. Pray for our travel into Kenya -- we leave tonight (London time) and get to Kenya early in the morning (Kenya time). Then we'll be there for a few days before taking off to Kenya. Pray especially for team unity and for sleep on the plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment