
If you don’t know these two faces by now, you probably haven’t read my blog before. This is Franco (left) and his brother Francis. They are, still and always, some of our favorite little boys.
This particular morning, I looked outside my window when I woke up to see the two of them crouching on our rocks, naked and waiting for us to wake up. They normally come in the morning to say hello and see if they can sweep our compound for us or play.
They actually were quite naughty the other week—they came in the house while Pattie was napping/reading and took the playing cards and some peanuts without asking. Oh, the drama! We had to ban them from the compound for a week. It was one of those “This hurts me as much as it hurts you” situations.
But, that’s gone and forgotten and they’re back now, and better than even.
Kim and I started a project while Pattie was in Nairobi—a retaining wall in the back of the house to keep our kitchen and Pattie’s room from flooding, and giving us a nice place to sit and greet people. It’s right on the main path to the village, so we can sit and say hello to everyone as they go by and see what everyone in the village is up to. (We have adapted to Lopit culture in that way, haha.)
Francis has been as gungho about the project as Kimmie was—every day before I came to Loki ,he was there, bringing rocks or moving dirt or some special thing*. He’d show up in the morning at my window, asking if he could help. Hehe. The first day, he got a hold of my sandals and put them on, then stood there for an hour, trying to maneuver a shovel that was as big as he was. It really was adorable. I took a picture, but it’s still in Lopit—I’ll put it up when I can.
Oh, good ol’ Francis… I love that kid.
This particular morning, I looked outside my window when I woke up to see the two of them crouching on our rocks, naked and waiting for us to wake up. They normally come in the morning to say hello and see if they can sweep our compound for us or play.
They actually were quite naughty the other week—they came in the house while Pattie was napping/reading and took the playing cards and some peanuts without asking. Oh, the drama! We had to ban them from the compound for a week. It was one of those “This hurts me as much as it hurts you” situations.
But, that’s gone and forgotten and they’re back now, and better than even.
Kim and I started a project while Pattie was in Nairobi—a retaining wall in the back of the house to keep our kitchen and Pattie’s room from flooding, and giving us a nice place to sit and greet people. It’s right on the main path to the village, so we can sit and say hello to everyone as they go by and see what everyone in the village is up to. (We have adapted to Lopit culture in that way, haha.)
Francis has been as gungho about the project as Kimmie was—every day before I came to Loki ,he was there, bringing rocks or moving dirt or some special thing*. He’d show up in the morning at my window, asking if he could help. Hehe. The first day, he got a hold of my sandals and put them on, then stood there for an hour, trying to maneuver a shovel that was as big as he was. It really was adorable. I took a picture, but it’s still in Lopit—I’ll put it up when I can.
Oh, good ol’ Francis… I love that kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment