Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sweethearts in Lopitland

(Bet that title made you think I had a Lopit boyfriend, eh? Not quite.)

I was sitting in my room the other day when I heard Pattie rush outside and start quizzing the teenage boys about the things they were saying. I went outside to see what the deal was, and she explained to me that she’d heard them saying things like, “I love you!” and couldn’t believe it. (They don’t have that same concept of love here, let alone say it.)

I had to laugh. Just a moment before, I shared some conversation Sweetheart things—you know, the little Valentine’s Day hearts with funny messages written on them?—with them. They were just practicing their English. Poor Pattie got all excited.

Earlier, I’d handed Oseta one and he scowled and gave it back to me, saying, “This one is hito-ongoruo (woman)!” It said, “Go girl!” Apparently, he didn’t think that one was fit for a young man to eat…

Gosh, my stories are so lame…

No comments:

Post a Comment