There's a couple things that, for some time, I've been almost certain would happen:
1) I would die before I turn 23.
2) I would hit a deer on Dee Bennett road.
And I even had a hunch these two might end up being related things.
So, tonight, as I was slamming on the breaks in the midst of a whole stinkin' herd of deer, part of me was thinking, "Are you SERIOUS?!"
But, as it turns out, I was partly wrong on both accounts. First, I did not die. (Clearly.) Second, I didn't hit a deer. I hit two.
The really amazing part of this whole this is that I came out unscathed. And, if I were the kind of person who could wield blind optimism, I would say that -- since I didn't see either lying on the side of the road -- the deer also came out alright. (I'm sure I'll be having nightmares tonight about those poor things eventually succumbing to coyotes. *whimper*)
And at first, I thought my car was also OK, which went beyond all reason. I actually had to stand in my garage and stare at it for a while before I found the damage -- the little patch of deer hair finally tipped me off. And, really, what damage that the ol' Sebring did incur doesn't seem proportional to hitting two ginormous deer.
I'm sure it won't seem that way when I get the estimate to fix the slightly jazzed front bumper, however. There goes that money I've been saving up for a camera and solar panels for Africa.
And that's the story of me almost being right.
Since The Deer Incident, I've been scavenging for food in my house. Specifically, I've been scavenging for food that can be eaten with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce ("The Sauce is Boss"). Super pretzels? No. Corn? No. Baked potato? No. I finally had to concede to turning on the oven and cooking chicken fingers. And, naturally, making as much noise as possible so as to wake my mom up for the second time tonight/this morning.
On the Africa front, Africa is still Africa and seeming very far away. I need to kick it in gear with support stuff... or accept the fact that I'll be staying home come June.
No comments:
Post a Comment