Thursday, March 16, 2006

Gilligan's Island

I figured I'd post this for ya'll to read and pray about. This is from Abby, a sweet, sweet girl I met in New York at my training. She's with the company on a TIMO team on Gilligan's Island with Vanessa, another one of the girls from New York. She and I were the ones who drove all the way over to New Jersey to pick up Yankees tickets. ;) Anyway, enjoy.

Greetings Friends!
I have been here on Gilligan’s Island for one month! It really has been a great month! I thought I’d share with you a few of my highlights of life here. Enjoy!
** Ceiling fan and oscillating fan! Yes, it’s that hot to be thankful for good fans! [I probably won't have fans -- they're in a more urban area and have electricity.]
** Madji baridi (COLD WATER!)
** Delicious foods – remarkably, there’s little that I don’t like here. Vanessa and I have made some great meals in our home: the best stew ever as well as mashed potatoes and chicken! Yum!
** JUICE! They have the best juice here, and I try to have at least one glass a day. The other day I had three within a couple hours.
** Enough about food! Just wanted you to know I’m not wasting away! [This was comforting to me. I love food. - amc]

** Hospitable people! I can’t go far without someone talking to me, taking me in, and taking care of me! Especially in the rain – I’m so sweet they think I’ll melt! [This is true. - amc]
** It is raining more now…rainy season. It comes and goes, in between heat waves, and sometimes relieves some of the heat.
** EMAILS!! It is a highlight of my week to check and read emails. Your encouraging words always lift me up.
** Lizards. There are a lot here…and they’re EVERYWHERE! They’re harmless and small of course, but relatively colorful and some even do push-ups!
** Mouse hunt in our house. Yeah, to make a long, exciting story short, we’ve had a family of mice living in our house. We’ve successfully poisoned 4, however, the mother is still at large as well as possibly more babies. The hunt will continue…
** The beach. It is nice to escape the heat when we can to cool off and enjoy the beauty of creation on our day off.
** Language helper, Mansuifat. Our Captain has put me with an incredibly kind and encouraging language helper. We meet four times a week practicing and obtaining new bits of language. She’s become a good friend, and I’m so excited about this relationship and the potential for sharing about our Captain.
** Friends along my daily route. I walk and talk the language several hours a day and I’ve found friends along the way that look for me and miss me when I don’t come. I love how friendly and curious the people are!
** Opportunities to share about Je..s. Each member of our team had opportunities to talk to someone about Him recently. Twice, Vanessa and I encountered a Mu$lm evangelist of sorts and were able to share with him what we believe as well as with the English translator present. It’s encouraging to be able to simply let people know WHO we pray to, and more so when we can say more.
** Sweet fellowship and times of worship with our team. We are able to encourage and uplift each other as well as honor the Captain that’s brought us together and gone before us.
** Settling into “home.” We are blessed with a very comfortable house that has become home for us. Vanessa and I have fun living together and get along well.
Those are most of the highlights from this first month. I don’t know if it sounds exciting to you, but it has been fun for me! The time has flown by! Thank you for your continued pleadings and support. It makes a huge difference. Any opportunities we have to share our lives in deed or word are a direct answer to many of your pleadings. Keep holding up each of our team members’ health. One of us had malaria, but is feeling better now. All of us have gone through colds and things, and want continued strength of body. Also, plead for more opportunities to share, our Captain is at work here, and we don’t want the enemy to squelch or disturb it. Praise the Captain for our safety, health, and earnest desire for Him to be known here! May His glory shine through our lives and may hearts awaken to His call.

Much love to you,
Castaway Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment