I won't lie, I've been getting pretty anxious about getting information about Lopit and what I'm going to be up to come June. A team member forwarded me an email from our team leaders. I'm just dropping it in here rather raw for now -- I don't have much time -- so I hope you enjoy knowing exactly how the details come trickling in to little ol' me. :) Some things caught my eye -- I put them in bold.
Lopit, a Nileotic tribe by origin living on the Lopitmountain range of South Sudan.
Live on steep mountain sides in huddled together secure villages.
They do cultivate and also have cows. Danger comes from neighboring tribes who raid for cattle.
In Eastern Equatoria (EE) where Lopit is situated, the norm is that it is good to kill, bad not to kill.
A man who has never raided cattle or killed the enemy is considered useless and he is treated like a boy.
Most tribes here are heathen with Rain makers, witchdoctors, and Land Lords, considered the source of eitherblessing and cursing.
A history of mission work by AIM although disturbed by the war and restrictions by the muslim government in Khartoum.
We are following in the tracks left by the AIM. (My team leaders are from another organization -- Diguna, out of Germany-- that is partnering with AIM for this TIMO team.)
Not one village has left its animism to embrace the Lordship of Christ yet. Some become Christians but the home villages remain unreached.
Most Lopit do not know God. They do not even have a name for God to describe the God we know from the Bible.
No Bible. New testament only in a similar language(Othuho/Latuko) - which needs translation in services.
about 120 000 in number but difficult to say for sure.
Other languages of tribes in EE are similar.
Our missionaries after learning Lopit should be able to reachout to some of the other unreached tribes of EE, 9 innumber.
This place is the bush! It is hot in dry season like inthe Low Feld (+ 40° every day and only cooling off toaround the mid thirties at night.)
Primitive living conditions....
Wow. I'm stoked.
No comments:
Post a Comment