Monday, March 20, 2006

Through Gates of Splendor

I finished reading 'Through Gates of Splendor' last night, Elizabeth Elliott's book about her first husband, Jim, and four other missionaries in Ecuador in the mid1900s. The five were famously speared to death by the Waoranis (Aucas), a people known for their violence, especially toward white men. The men were burdened for the Waoranis, that they might hear the Gospel, and so they followed God's leading, even to a communal grave under a makeshift tree house in the Waorani territory. How God has used their ministry -- not only among the Waoranis and surrounding tribes, but in the lives of countless people who followed their story -- is just remarkable. Reading the words Elizabeth penned in a hut just 10 feet away from the hut of two of the seven men who killed her husband -- they had since come to know the Lord themselves -- was also incredible.

This might all sound familiar, as it was a very famous thing -- which shocked the world and changed many lives -- and has recently been made into a movie, End of Spear. I haven't seen the new movie, nor the old documentary, but I have heard the documentary is awesome. I'll have to have myself a movie night sometime soon. :)

Here's some words Jim wrote in his diary not long before he died. I think they're beautiful. "I walked out to the hill just now. It is exalting, delicious, to stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree with the wind tugging at your coattail and the heavens hailing your heart, to gaze and glory and give oneself again to God -- what more could a man ask? Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him. ... O Jesus, Master and Center and End of all, how long before that Glory is thine which has so long waited Thee? Now there is no thought of Thee among men; then there shall be thought for nothing else. Now other men are praised; then none shall care for any other's merits. Hasten, hasten, Glory of Heaven, take Thy crown, subdue Thy Kingdom, enthrall Thy creatures."

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment