So, Surgery #2 is in the past.
I think it’s safe to say that it was better than Surgery #1. This time, my pain meds weren’t forgotten in recovery. Also, I wasn’t left in a busy hallway in said unmedicated state, being bumped again and again by people rushing by. And, this time obnoxiously large and foreign bodies were removed from my shoulder, instead of being installed into it. So, like I said—all in all, better than Surgery #1. Right?
I had a bit of a rough start out at Kijabe, but once I was in the OR with my doc, things were lickety-split. He was super nice and understood my apprehension in light of Surgery #1 and all its horrors. He even asked if I wanted to see the hardware after he took it out, which I certainly did. Apparently, it’s the first thing I asked for as I was coming to. I don’t remember that. But I do faintly remember asking the nurse her name… twice.
Anyway, so all that metal is out. And I got to take it home as a memoir. Phil suggested I make it into a keychain, so that’s in the works.
I’m sore, but doing pretty good, all things considered. I have two more (small) scars to complement the gigantic one up on my shoulder. Definitely worth it to get that junk out of there, though. Doc says to rest it for a couple weeks, then I’ll start PT again sometime.
So… that’s really all. I think the hardest part hasn’t been the physical aspect, though it is painful. The mental/emotional side of things is really hard. I think maybe God is teaching me a lot about being surrounded by people but all alone. Or maybe it’s about humbling myself and actually admitting I need people around… I dunno. Jury is still out on that one.
There you have it. Thanks for all the prayers, and all the emails and everything. You can continue to pray for healing and for embracing whatever lesson God is teaching me.
Hi Andi -
ReplyDeleteWe're glad the surgery went well. We're praying for you!
Rob & Shannon