So, I’m on holiday.
Kim and I escaped down to the Coast for a week. With no obligations to a big group travel buddies, no real concerns other than to get a tan (and—as it turned out later—nurse a sunburn) and nothing but the beautiful Indian Ocean at our doorstep, it’s been nice. Really nice.
Well, OK, there was that pesky business with the Dannish Navy.
For a while there, we were under siege by drunken sailors. In fact, the phrase “drunken sailor” has never held so much meaning for me. It seemed a teensy bit overboard—umm, no pun intended—for a bunch of seafaring types to go to port at a hotel with a ship theme. I mean, come on. I don’t stay in a mud hut-theme hotel when I go on holiday. Granted, I’m not sure if such a hotel exists. But I digress…
I stayed myself from making any unnecessary reference to Hamlet. Kim only talked in hushed tones about her misgivings about the nomenclature, Dannish Danes from Denmark. (We’re American Americans from America. Why can’t everyone else be so transparent?) And only once did we feign that we didn’t speak English (only Lopit) in order to get out of potentially long, very slurred conversation.
I can’t tell you how valuable speaking a language unknown to anyone outside a 15km radius has proved to be.
That’s about as exciting as vacation has been for KP and I. Sometimes we hide from the sun, sometimes we bask in it. All the time(s), we have our AC up full blast. And at this time, I think it’s high time for a nap.
So, until next time, I bid you… Adieu, adieu, remember me.
FYI: This post is a few days old. I'm not on vacation anymore. I'm back in Nairobi (whimper) and getting more and more anxious to get back home to Sudan!
ReplyDelete