Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Baby Edith...

Sometimes here in the village, we get the opportunity to name a child or have a child named after us.

 

Little Ifeja—Cecelia’s daughter—must be about a year old now. She’s fat as ever. I’m always surprised when she’s able to maneuver her pillar-legs about on the rocky paths. You wouldn’t imagine, if you were to look at her, that she could do anything but roll from place to place. Sometimes they call her “Andi,” because I told them that’s what my mother calls me. (Hardly anyone knows me as Andrea, let alone Andi.)

 

During the medical campaign, Elizabeth had her baby, and they asked me to name it. They were wondering what the doctors’ names were, and so I named the little guy Peter Bob, after the two male doctors.

 

There’s Baby Kim. Then, more recently and in a different village, Baby Kimberly. And Baby Cheri, named after Kim’s mom. She’s really popular—even has a song about her. Baby Pattie lives up at the top of Husa. Cute as ever. Little Linda (named after Pattie’s mom) was born not all that long ago. Across the way, there’s an Iccengi (Jen) and a Toriana (Cath). The list goes on.

 

And today I was able to name a teensy, adorable little girl who was born Saturday. (They wait until the leftover umbilical cord falls off to name the baby, so the delay isn’t strange.)

 

I named her Edith, after my great-grandmother, who passed away the same day.

 

And, somehow, that makes me happy. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment