So I’ve got this neighbor Ibiong. She’s a hoot.
Lately, every time I go down for my bike ride, she’s there, sitting on her rocks as I go by. And, as is the Lopit way, she asks me where I’m going. And, as is the Lopit way, I always tell her—I’m going to ride my bike.
The other day she got on me about it, “Every day, every day—‘I’m going to ride my bike.’ Every day.” It seems she is disappointed in my lack of variety. I didn’t know exactly how to apologize.
She’s normally still sitting there when I come back later, or being busy on her compound, which is basically an eagle’s nest looking over the path. And she likes to comment on how tired I am. Or how sweaty I am. Or how pathetic I look.
And I agree with her, I generally do look really pathetic.
Yesterday was such a time. Clothes soaked, sweat dripping off my nose, weak and dirty. You know when you’re so tired your legs start to feel funny? And you take a step up onto a rock and find yourself teetering there a bit, not quite steady under your latest progress? And you wonder if your destination could get any further away or the sun any hotter? That’s what was going on.
I came up on Ibiong on the path this time, teetering on her own rock (believe it or not), a 20L water jug wavering on her head. She looked back at me, wiped her brow, and said, “Ibeja, I’m tired.”
I wobbled to a standing position in that blazing sun, blinked sweat out of my eye, looked at her… and breathlessly agreed.
And there we were, sharing a moment.
Right?
No, not right.
Because this is Ibiong.
We both trudged on a few more steps, my eyes on the path, contemplating every rock.
Then I heard a giggle. And I raised my head to see the light soles of her black feet, mocking me, as she scampered up the path, her neck adjusting to every sway of the water jug. Just giggling. At me.
I think I actually whimpered.
I grinned and yelled at her, “Ette! (You!) Enough, enough! You’re better than I am, I know!”
She bounced a bit further up the path, then seemed satisfied with herself and my misery enough to slow back to a trudge.
But the giggling lasted a bit longer.
She’s such a jerk… ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment